- Potato Wedges
- Jacket Potatoes
The Désirée is a red-skinned main crop potato originally bred in the Netherlands in 1962. It has a red skin and yellow flesh with a distinctive flavour. It is a favourite with allotment-holders because of its resistance to drought, although it is not well suited to organic growing. It is a versatile, fairly waxy variety which is firm and holds its shape and useful for all methods of cooking; from roasting to mashing and salads.
Its recent popularity in the UK is attributed to TV chef Delia Smith.
- Habit: Medium height, later spreading
- Foliage: Medium to dark grey-green. Strong purple colour throughout plant.
- Stems numerous, purple.
- Leaf rigid, open, slightly arched.
- Leaflets oval, pointed.
- Secondaries few.
- Buds/Flowers: Buds large, red-purple on hairy stalks. Flowers red-violet fading to white.
Flowers on a désirée plant
Shop-bought désirée potatoes
- Romans, Alan. The Potato Book. London: Frances Lincoln. ISBN 0-7112-2479-x.
- Barker, Alex; Mansfield, Sally. Potatoes. London: Lorenz Books. ISBN 0-7548-1090-9.